Ways to Make a Lasting Parenting Impression
Parenting is a tough job. Don't let the daily grind keep you from seeing the big picture. The attention, patience, time, love and good role-modeling you give as a parent today will make a positive and lasting impression on your child tomorrow.
- Use discipline not as punishment but so your child learns self-discipline later.
- Let your child make age-appropriate choices with your guidance.
- Be a good role model to help teach your child good character and values.
- Humor helps throughout life. Allow yourselves to laugh at the little things.
- Teach good friendship skills and peaceful ways to resolve conflict.
- Allow your child to learn from mistakes, imperfection and disappointment.
- Be a coach, not a critic. This helps your child develop a positive inner voice.
- Tell and show your child often that you love and accept them for who they are.
- Teach your child skills and tools to effectively manage their emotions.
- Keep family traditions and create positive memories with your child.
- Follow a daily routine to help your child feel more secure and organized.
- Show interest in your child's education and activities at every age.